01 Jun Tips for Avoiding the Heat
Summer is rapidly approaching in California, and temperatures are on the rise. Summer is a season for exploring and adventure. However, it is also a season of unbearable heat. It is why many people will find themselves hiding out in the shelter of their home, waiting for cooler temperatures.
If you are looking for ways to keep cool this summer, here are a few tips:
- Wear light colored, loose fitting, cotton clothing. Cotton stay cooler than synthetic materials.
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water, and sports drinks with plenty of electrolytes.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine since these cause dehydration.
- Avoid going outdoors during the middle of the day. Instead, go out during the morning or evening when it is cooler.
- Use fans to circulate the air in your house and make it feel cooler.
- Keep water bottles in the freezer and take one with you when you go outside. This way, you will have a cool drink with you as the ice melts.
- Visit public places like a library, movie theater, or mall during the day. These places are usually kept cool during even the hottest of days.
- Take frequent cold baths or showers to help keep cool.
- Visit the local public pool or beach, just be sure to wear plenty of sunscreen.